Sunday, August 14, 2011

Culture Camp

A couple of weeks ago Lidya attended her first culture camp. She went from 9-12 for five days. Each day there were different activities and then a closing party on the last day. She really enjoyed it and I feel like she learned quite a bit. She got a chance to hang out with her friends, and be immersed in Ethiopian culture. The lady who puts on the camp is really something. She's very dedicated to helping Ethiopian American kids know their culture, and to show you how small the world is, when I was in Ethiopia picking up Lidya I met her brother.... in the lobby of the Hilton. He told me about his sister, who lives in Oakland and asked me to please make sure I contact her because she's very involved in helping Ethiopian kids retain/learn about their culture? I lost his sister's information but found out about her later when I was looking for language classes for Lidya. Small world.

The day after camp was over Lidya busted out her Amharic on an Ethiopian lady that we met at the Y. The lady was so happy that she hugged and hugged and hugged Lidya and then invited us to her church :-).

No comments: