Friday, July 30, 2010

Our Swimming Summer

This year was Lidya's breakthrough swimming Summer. We've always spent a lot of time in the water but until this Summer Lidya was not really swimming. She insisted on wearing water wings and really didn't like to put her face in the water. I was a little worried because I am part fish and would spend all day of every day in the water if I could. So I felt that my daughter, like my son, must love to (or learn to love swimming :-). Where I got this idea I don't know, because my mother does not like to swim at all. So I was determined that this Summer she would learn to swim, and learn she did. She has a swimming class 2 days a week during the day and 2 days a week in the evenings and then I join her after class for family swim. She is such a good swimmer now that we go every evening and I actually get to swim along beside her.This video clip is of her last day of swimming class. I signed her up for the wrong level class cause I didn't know how much she'd already learned at Summer camp. The class was too basic and she was bored silly. Here the whole class is riding the foam alligator. You can see her just kind of hanging on, hoping for a chance to free swim (which she does at the end. She's in the blue swimming cap on the end) . She can swim the entire length of this pool unassisted so the foam flotation devices were just getting in her way.

No comments: